...But I digress. I got thinking about why we, the speculative fiction writers, are awesome--pure, concentrated, essential oil, aromatherpay, nanu-nanu awesome.
Here's my list of reasons:
- What other people can you talk to that know about space travel, relativity, and linguistics?
- If you want to talk about devoted fans, just look into the sci-fi fantasy world.
- You aren't going to find more interesting conversations than ours--anyone else want to discuss the practicality of silver bullets versus silver crossbow bolts?
- We have probably the strongest connections out of any fanbase and writer conglomerate. I don't hear about Dan Brown talking about what kind of erotica he likes with fans, but Patricia Briggs did--I know, I was there.
- We are HUGE! Easily the largest genres out there, save maybe romance...maybe.
- We have our fingers everywhere from romance to crime drama to opera.
- When push comes to shove, we're the most fun to be around--people that read other genres primarily (I've met a handful of them, but no pure literati) are just sort of dull.
Do you need more reasons? Really? I don't think so.
Suffice it to say we are awesome. Really awesome. However awesome I said above plus acid spitting laser wolves.
So don't listen when the "others" say that you just aren't a real writer--feck them and their Earth based books--I want freakin' elves!