Demon Hunting and Tenth Dimensional Physics: Wrap-Up

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Wrap-Up

Okay, I had one-more A to Z-ish post left in me.

I gave a lot of rules this last month, and I'm now going to share the most important rule of all. But first, let's talk photography. In photography, they give you a whole slew of rules: the rule of thirds, the rule of negative space, and the whole stack of rules about eyes. But after that, they always tell you one thing, no matter what: now that you know the rules, you can break them.

So that's the really important rule for writing, above all the other 'normal' rules I told you before. This is the secret one you get to learn when you slog through the swamp: once you earn the rules of writing, you're more than welcome to break them all. On purpose.

That's all,
Voss

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Perhaps not once you know the rules, but rather once you understand the reasons for the rules.