- Urban fantasy is a huge market right now and really doesn't require a lot of strange names. If you want the names for your elves and the like to be a little more ethnic than your humans, choose a culture of Earth and go from there.
- If you have an epic/high fantasy you can normally get away with some unusual names, especially when it comes to deities and dragons...and villains. go a bit crazy over there so that you can try and get it out of your system.
- If one of your major players has a name that's six syllables long, please make somebody notice it and comment on it somehow. I'm sorry to tell you, but "Jilanamuyea" is going to raise anyone's eyesbrows, honey.
- If you must have an apostrophe, please keep it down to one apostrophe. Really, when I find names that are half apostrophe and half letter I tend to just put the book down, often not picking it back up.
- Finally, if you're in love with a long name, you can give them a nickname. It really doesn't hurt. Turning "Koritrikir" into "Kir" or "Kor" or even "Kori" is alright - and appreciated.
Blessed be and all that jazz,