Demon Hunting and Tenth Dimensional Physics: Why We Rock

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Why We Rock

Well, the other day I read this article at Genreville and it got me thinking--do people actually think that way? I don't rightly know because I've never met literati before, but if they're like that we should punch some...

...Kidding...

...But I digress. I got thinking about why we, the speculative fiction writers, are awesome--pure, concentrated, essential oil, aromatherpay, nanu-nanu awesome.

Here's my list of reasons:



  1. What other people can you talk to that know about space travel, relativity, and linguistics?

  2. If you want to talk about devoted fans, just look into the sci-fi fantasy world.

  3. You aren't going to find more interesting conversations than ours--anyone else want to discuss the practicality of silver bullets versus silver crossbow bolts?

  4. We have probably the strongest connections out of any fanbase and writer conglomerate. I don't hear about Dan Brown talking about what kind of erotica he likes with fans, but Patricia Briggs did--I know, I was there.

  5. We are HUGE! Easily the largest genres out there, save maybe romance...maybe.

  6. We have our fingers everywhere from romance to crime drama to opera.

  7. When push comes to shove, we're the most fun to be around--people that read other genres primarily (I've met a handful of them, but no pure literati) are just sort of dull.

Do you need more reasons? Really? I don't think so.


Suffice it to say we are awesome. Really awesome. However awesome I said above plus acid spitting laser wolves.


So don't listen when the "others" say that you just aren't a real writer--feck them and their Earth based books--I want freakin' elves!


Yours Faithfully,


Voss

No comments :