Demon Hunting and Tenth Dimensional Physics: Barbaric YAWP

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Barbaric YAWP

"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable, I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world."
~Walt Whitman

Those fans of "The Dead Poet's Society" among you should be feeling a severe warming trend around the cauckles of your heart.

I find myself, in this season, thinking about that piece of cinematic brilliance, and bemoaning the fact that I do not own it.

Yet.

When I hit the times of my deepest troubles, I play scenes and quotes from that movie in my head, whisper the quotes to myself.

"Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone."
~John Keating

It takes a lot to give me chills a second time through, but that movie does it.

Every.
Single.
Time.

My favorite is the above quote from Walt Whitman:

"BARBARIC YAWP!"

It holds so much power, so much drama.

Think about it again: "I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable, I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world."

What you have to say is important--sound your YAWP whenever you can, wherever you want to, however you must.

Feeling like a motivational speaker,
Voss

No comments :