Demon Hunting and Tenth Dimensional Physics: Anti-Classic Support Group

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Anti-Classic Support Group

Hi, I'm Voss, and I'm not a fan of the classics.

And guess what: that's okay.

Before I continue: I'm not talking about the classics like Jane Eyre, David Copperfield, or Pride and Prejudice. I'm talking the classics of my genre: The Lord of the Rings, Dune, Foundation. That kind of thing. That's not to say I don't like any of the genre staples. Give me Gormenghast, A Wizard of Earthsea, Left Hand of Darkness, or Fahrenheit 451 whenever you like: I'll read it.

What's the point? No, no, it's not some form of confession, because this isn't anything to feel guilty about. But, when I went to my first sci-fi/fantasy convention, I hadn't read most of this stuff, and the people that found out thought it was an abhorrent idea. Never finished Lord of the Rings? Blasphemer! You find Dune boring and completely without interest? How dare you?

But I'm here to tell you that it's okay. You don't need my permission, but I'll even write you a note, if you'd like. Read what you like and, for the other writers out there, don't think that you have to read all this stuff just to be allowed to write in the genre. There is no gatekeeper standing in front of your laptop, I promise.

That's also not to say don't try some of the classics, some of the 'key' pieces of a genre. Do try them. Try reading everything, that's my rule. If you don't like it, then fine, don't read it. But do try: you could be missing out on a real gem if you don't.

Voss

3 comments :

Jemima Pett said...

I'll let you off not liking The Lord of the Rings. I love it, but I didn't enjoy The Hobbit. I didn't like Gormenghast either. I'm a strong believer that it depends when you read them, as in at what stage of your life, and what the context was. I read LOTR when I was 17, before it really hit the hype (especially post-film). I was lucky enough to read some classics when they were new on the block! I think it's good to distinguish between the differences in the genre - after all, its surely big enough!

But I really dropped by to apologise for not visiting since the last A to Z Challenge and ask if you are doing it again this year? I hope so, as it might remind me to stop by more often. I love your blog, after all!
See you around :)

Jemima at Jemima's blog

Voss Foster said...

Yes. I've already signed up. Just have to find a topic to write about this time around.

Voss

Pearson Report said...

Poignant little post you've got here. I'm a supporter of your thinking - I read what I like, don't care if offends anybody and if I start a piece and am not liking it I don't subject myself to going the distance.

I smiled at your not liking LOTR...heheheh....me too! Much to the shock and awe of my darling daughter. Oh well, she'll recover from the shock and though life will never be the same in her eyes I'm sure she'll live to see her curly locks turn grey!

As a past co-host of the Challenge I am perusing the A-Z list and want to wish you much fun and enjoyment; I will be popping by to see what gems you will be sharing.

Cheers, Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT